Saturday, June 18, 2011

What Bit Me?

'Twas about a week or so ago. No, it wasn't a dark and stormy night. Mighta been a rainy day, though. I don't really remember. I didn't really know letterboxing from The Lambada. I was just looking for different types of treasure hunting activities for a short article I was ghostwriting. I didn't have more than a paragraph to describe the hobby, so I barely smudged the surface. Once I had enough information to write the piece and be done with the whole thing, well... I kept reading.

Oh, I tried to move on at first. But I kept coming back. Every time I thought I understood the hobby -- and the audience to whom it appealed -- I'd uncover another facet which required another skill set and could appeal to whole other group of hobbyists. By the time I really *did* have it more or less figured out, I was staring at a fairly large gem. And I realized something: several of the hobbies I had dabbled in previously were involved! And since I'm always up for learning a new skill set... yeah. I got hooked. Hard.

I have an overactive imagination anyway, and I get lots of ideas. Combine that with an interesting new hobby (or set of hobbies), and there's only one thing to do with an itch like that. Gotta scratch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment