Monday, June 20, 2011

The Hunt

Yesterday marks my first day "on the trail". My target: a local park that has so many letterboxes planted that I'm starting to think of it as Puyallup's own "Little Dartmoor". It was a nice walk. The trouble is that I started off in the wrong direction, so I walked a LOT yesterday morning. I suppose that's what I get for not taking more walks through our local parks.

I eventually got there. You can't find the letterbox if you can't find the park in which it is hidden, and I certainly wasn't going to come home at the end of my first letterbox hunt with an empty logbook. That little delay cost me daylight, though, and I had to call off the search before I found the final box in a series. There will be another day for finding that last box. Maybe even next weekend!

My first find, ironically, was more or less by accident. I was looking for another letterbox and happened to find one laying beside a tree with no cover. Of course I pounced immediately, and after learning that the box was part of a series I wasn't planning to hunt this time around, I shrugged and cheerfully logged my first find. Serendipity or no, a find is a find!

All in all, I went home with five stamps in my brand new logbook. Not bad for a first day. Cuz... it's not.

Yep. Fun stuff. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment